Geoff Crambie, our local historian extraordinaire, took us on a tour of this Victorian building situated in the heart of Colne. We began by standing outside the front door on a magnificent 10ft square flagstone, thought to be the largest in the UK. Unfortunately, research has recently found that the flagstone dominating the frontage of St. George`s Hall Liverpool is bigger. Inside we marvelled at the Minton floor tiles and the sweeping staircase littered with pictures of the great and the good who helped to shape this bonnie town upon the hill.
Some notables were Sir William Pickles Hartley who founded the Hartley`s jam company, his daughter Christina, who gave her name to Colne`s maternity hospital, where from 1927 generations of Colne babies were born, and Peter Birtwistle who left an amount of money in trust for the poorer people of the Parish. The tour took in the Council Chamber which displayed the town`s coat of arms and we saw the seal used on Council documents. This tour was delivered with an amazing recollection of stories and dates by our guide Geoff.
A splendid 40th Anniversary cake, baked and decorated by Jackie and Francesca from the Old Rock Cafe Trawden, was ceremoniously cut by former Chair, David J A Taylor, and enjoyed by all present.